A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Friday, June 06, 2003

Why is it that wine goes straight to your head? There is probably some easily explainable scientific reason for it but that doesn't so much concern me. What does concern me is this: No matter how I try to escape the inevitable light-headed fuzzy feeling, I am no match for the grape.

Case in point: Last night I made dinner for friends. A lovely paella with chicken and sausage which I chose because none of my dinner guests had ever had paella before. (I must admit that I debated the dinner selection for a quite a while as it is a complete no-no in my Atkins plan, but I have been falling off of the wagon a lot lately, this just had a much louder thud...but I digress.) In any case where I am making dinner for friends, I turn on the record player and usually partake in a cockatil or glass of wine while preparing the dish. It adds to the mood of the evening and the preparation is just as much fun for me as actually eating the meak and enjoying the good company. Well, last night I opted for a little Linda Ronstadt and no cocktail, iced tea instead. Perhaps this break in tradition is where the problems began. Nonetheless, as the guests arrived I grabbed each of them a drink and popped open a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. Fast forward: A bowl and a half of paella and two and a half glasses of wine later, I'm a bit buzzed. It just sort of snuck up on me! I did my best to hide my intense need to giggle and I think that my guests never suspected that their hostess had become her own cheap date.

Which brings me back to my original point: Why is it that wine goes straight to your head? I didn't over do it by any means, but two glasses, some light conversation and good food and I was ready for bed. This is not the first time that wine has gotten the best of me, and I won't even begin to tell you about the dangers of the bubbles in champagne! But one thing is certain, no matter the type or circumstances under which it is consumed, I am no match for the grape!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home