A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Power Struggle

Okay, we all know how much I love being in charge. Getting to boss people around is the high point for most of the Leos I know. It makes me feel important and powerful. (I realize that you are all probably thinking that I could use a good ass kicking or therapy session to work through some issues, but stick with me.) Since I will be leaving my job in August for a life in the big city, I have been given the task of training my replacement. She started on Monday and has been "shadowing" me for the last couple of days. She sits in on conference calls and comes to meetings and I generally spend the day trying to explain all of the intricacies of my job to her. Now, this is where the power thing comes in. I thought that the idea of having someone to "boss" around was going to be fun..it's not. Mainly because there is absolutely no bossing around involved. I spent hours putting together a transition plan for her and am spending hours (eight of them to be exact) trying to come up with things to do. You see, my job isn't rocket science and, to be honest, I spend most of the day reading gossip columns and playing solitaire. I like how that works. But now I have been forced into pretending that I actually do stuff. That I am actually "busy" all day with real work, not playing "make your own Mr. Potato Head" online. For the past two days I have been trying to find time to check my Streisand chat rooms and read my blogs. I feel like I am really trying to hide something, but not from "the man" who is the person I should be hiding from, but from the other chick taking my job. Where is the reason in that?!?!?! I suppose it could be worse. She could suck. She doesn't. She is totally nice and ready to learn how to make the job work. The only problem that I now face is figuring out how to make work out of work. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home