A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Okay, question: What is the deal with people's attractions to pregnant bellies? Seriously, what is it about a swollen tummy that just makes people, womenin particular, want to reach out and touch it. The argument has been made before that under normal circumstances it is NOT okay to just reach out and touch someone's belly. But somehow, when that belly contains an unborn child, a woman's tummy becomes free game. No one ever considers the mom-to-be in this equation. Does she really enjoy people she barely knows (or doesn't even know) taking a poke at a part of her body, that until recently, may heve been a no touch-zone? As I was walking by one of the ladies in my office today I was certainly tempted. She has a cute little five-month pregnant belly that just screamed "Come rub you dirty hand on me" in a loud voice (presumebly not the baby's or the mommy's!) But just as I was going in for the reach I caught myself and thought ask te mommy belly in question "Can I touch?" She smiled and said of course but there was a quick glance that spoke volumes as it whispered "Thanks for asking!" I do remember the first time touching a pregnant belly and being shocked that it was hard. I suppose I expected something soft and squishy much like the insides of mommy's belly (sorry for that mental image) and I was taken aback by the firmness. A little bundle of joy, I suppose, should be protected as such, by a nice hard mommy shell...but I think I digress. I'm not sure that, if and when I decide to have children, I want random people copping a feel. Do you? Just a kind and gentle warning: if you do want to touch just ask, the worst thing that could happen is she could say no. I doubt she will, but if she does, did you really want to touch the belly of a mean mommy bitch who doesn't want to share the joy of a new life with others, even complete strangers? I think not!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home