A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Thursday, August 07, 2003

"Some people turn out better than we think."

My plan today was to get my oil changed. But after the news of a two hour wait at the Wal-Mart, I decided against that. Instead, I ran inside and grabbed the newest issue of Redbook and popped into a little bbq joint to get a quick lunch. As I'm standing in line debating over the standard plate or the lite plate, I hear someone call out my name. I look up and an old high school friend that I haven't seen in roughly five years was waving at me (luckily, she is one of the few people from the halls of hell that I didn't mind running into.) We said our quick "hellos" and "how are yous" and then I grabbed my plate (I decided against the lite) and went to sit down with my magazine.

As I was sitting she comes up to my table, grabs a seat and we begin to chat. Now, the girl that I remember from high school was a little loopy, the "class clown" of the track team and I was never quite sure if she had anything going on inside her head of bouncy blonde locks. But the person that sat in front of me today had more to her than I ever could have imagined. She's married now, she's traveld, is pre-med (with a rhodes scholar interview under her belt) and is looking to apply at a few very high-quality medical schools. As we sat and talked I was blown away at this person sitting across the table from me. She is a far cry from the sixteen year old waif I remember and somehow the grown-up thing suits her. We talked about where we both are in our lives and where we have been and, inevitably, where we are going. Before I knew it, we had talked eachother's ears off for nearly an hour and I had to get back to the office. It was a fantastic talk that ended with hurried good-byes and the exchanging of e-mails. Often times I exchange info with lost friends, but this time I really meant it, and that felt good.

As I walked away with my doggie-bag of leftover lunch (maybe I should have gotten the lite plate) all I could think was just how great it is that often times people turn out better than we think.

P.S. The bbq man himself, Mr. Dickey, will be on Regis and Kelly in the morning...set your VCRs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home