A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Tuesday, September 09, 2003

I HAVE JUST SPENT THE LAST 5 HOURS WITH BARBRA STREISAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you read that correctly. I have just been hanging out in a room with Barbra herself all evening. Can you believe it! I know, I had to pinch myself a couple of times! New York is officially the greatest city in the world because on a moments notice, you can do things like walk over to West 12th, wait in line and get in to the taping of Inside the Actor's Studio.

I found out a few days ago through the Streisand grapevine that she was the show's guest and tried to get tickets to no avail. But I decided to take my chances and head down there with hopes of maybe just catching a glimpse. Things started out kind of slow as I showed up at about 5:15 and she had already gone in. So, being the true fan that I am, I decided to wait it out and talk to anyone who looked like they knew something about finding a way in. A couple of wild goose chases later, a glimpse at Donna Karen and Streisand beloved puppy, Samantha and a long wait in a short line, I finally landed inside and upsatirs where I watched the first three hours of interview. Then, I was permitted downstairs into the studio for the last two hours as she answered questions from the audience. It was absolutely amazing. She is so eloquent yet so down-to-earth at the same time. She goes on and on about the art and craft of acting, directing, singing, and then interjects with little things that make you laugh out loud (including a remark about orgasms that I won't go into now, but will hopefully appear on the show!) See, that is the sad part about the whole thing...after five hours of great stuff, it will all be edited down into about 47 minutes of product for the one-hour show. If there was this much great stuff with Barbra, I can only imagine what was left on the cutting room floor for all of the other great interviews that have been conducted there.

Either way, it was truly an amazing night that I will never forget! And no matter how much gets edited out, I was there for the whole thing-live and in person. My love affair with all things Barbra still continues, stronger than ever.

(Warning: All of the information from this point on is mainly to serve the selfish interests of the writer. If you do not wish to read more Streisand details, feel free to move on to your next blog. If, however, you are a fan of Barbra Streisand or the writer and would like to see what else she has decided to write for posterity, continue on.)

Highlights:
Definite hints about the autobiography that she is writing
The Movie Album, due October 14th, is dedicated to Gregory Peck

BJS: "Early in my career, record execs didn't know whether to sign me or not because they couldn't tell if I was white or black..."
JL: "until they saw you..."
BJS: Yeah, just by my voice, but..." at which point she stands up, turns around, and sticks her ass out to the audience "Quincy Jones like it...he says it's nice." refering to her ghetto bootie

After nearly two hours and getting a little hungry..."I haven't gone this long with out eating in a while." At which points she asks if there is anyway she can get something to eat..."a ritz, a cookie, a Kit-Kat, anything?" A couple of minutes later a guy brings out a tray of sugary goodness. She grabbed a handful of Oreos and a Kit-Kat bar and starts munching away while James Lipton tries to continue with the interview. Totally at ease she munches away commenting every now and then about how good Oreos are and talking around huge bites of cookie she manages to get out "you need stamina for this!" Classic Barbra, a woman who loves food!

The Questions:
Favorite Word: Truth
Least Favorite Word: Impossible
Turn on: Gardening, Samantha, her husband, her son, great conversation
Turn off: Apathy
Sound she loves: Orgasms
Sound she hates: microphone feedback in her ear
Favorite Curse word: Fuck
A Proffesion she would do if not this: Architect, Horticulture
A Proffesion she would not do: Podiatry
If Heaven exists, what do you want to hear when you get there? "Oh, it's you again!"



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home