A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Job searching is sucking my soul dry! Now, I am a very qualified individual who can handle just about any task short of brain surgery. But some how that doesn't seem to be enough for the hiring professionals (read: wackos who take themselves way too seriously) whose hands my future lay in. Below are a few of the places that I have gone to apply for a job and the conversations that have taken place.

Stop 1: Virgin Megastore, Union Square

In a previous post I mentioned my initial experience there and the crazy test. When I went back for round two I realized that they are even more crazy than originally thought. After a wait of one and a half hour AND a retake of the test (I know!) I finally talked to the guy. Apparantly the guy on the first go around didn't schedule me correctly and then didn't give my interviewer my test. Anyway, after a lengthy talk about what they do at Virgin (evidently I was wrong when I thought that they just sold records!) I was told that the interview process takes three weeks, that they are interviewing 50 people for 10 open spaces and that they are looking for folks interested in getting into "the biz." Impressed yet? Me either.

Stop 2: Starbucks, 1st Avenue

I like coffee and know how to work a cappucino machine...shoe in! Well, in order to work at any of the Starbucks in New York City you have to go to the job fair. It's a two hour block and you can do an on-the-spot-interview with one of the managers. Sounds like fun, but I'll wait.

Stop 4: Payless, 1st Avenue

Love shoes...and this place has way more cute accessories than any Payless I have ever been in. Well, the guy at the counter informs me, "Yes, we are hiring but we have been out of applications for a couple of weeks. Can you come back in a week and see if we have any? I could use the help but have been truning people away all week." Now, I don't know, but I think that they could seriously fix their problem of having no employees if they went to Kinkos and printed out a few applications...just a thought.

Stop 4: The Gap, Astor Place in the Village

When I went in to turn in my application I thought, "They have to hire me, I've worked for the company before." Well, the girl, excuse me, the manager, who I talked to dove right in asking me questions and giving me tips on how to make my application look better. Though I appreciated the tips, I wasn't sure why she was proof-reading instead of hiring. Well, after a few minutes talking with her and answering the boring questions you always get, she tells me that she will set me up for a real interview. WHAT? Apparantly that was just round one, the warm up for the big interview that she makes sound like I will be testifying in front of a committee. She gives me my info for round two and tells me, "Fix all of the mistakes on you application on this new one. Actually, take two in case yo mess up...it needs to be perfect with no mistakes. Be there 15 minutes before your time and dress to impress!"

So that's where I will be at 10:00 am, excuse me, 9:45 am, tomorrow morning. Dressed to impress in front of the Gap Gods. Sigh, this job thing really isn't fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home