A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Monday, July 05, 2004

Happy 5th of July!

Okay, better late than never right? I spent my independence Day serving The Man at work all day (without BBQ even) but did manage to wrap up the night with the best fireworks display that I have ever seen in my life! Yet another perk of living in the Big Apple is their devotion to complete extravagance in celebrating all of the big holidays. I viewed the fireworks over the East River from my old apartment building right next to the water. From where I stood I could see three of the six barges shooting off the colorful explosives in perfect unison. As the sky glowed rainbow colors for nearly half of an hour, it was like every minute was the finally. There were sparklers that I had never even seen before...happy faces, big red apples (how clever), planets and even little hearts intertwined. And as I was standing in the middle of a crowd of jaded New Yorkers, with my mouth hanging open in a semi-permanent smile, I heard a very large tattooed native squeal out a "Dude, that was freaking cool!" to his equally brawny friend. Even though my friend winced at the idea of singing a few bars of God Bless America with me, the night was a perfect success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home