A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

I am trying to be social. Really. Trying. I have attempted to navigate the terrain in order to etch out some sort of social life for myself in New York City. I have been defeated. Well, not totally defeated but certainly battered and bruised...both litteraly and figuratively. All of the muscles in my body hurt. From the palms of my hands to the arches on my feet. Climbing subway stairs makes me want to scream and squatting down to the toilet seat leaves me close to holding the pee for eternity instead. I have bruises on my arms from wrist to elbow and all over my knees. All of this pain in the name of self improvement.

You see, I decided, now that I have some money, that I would join a volleyball league in New York. I figured that it would be a great way to meet new people while excercising and competing. I think I may be wrong on the first count. I showed up to the gym on the Upper West Side on Tuesday night, fresh from my rejuvinating visit home, ready to tackle the game. I knew that I would be rusty since I haven't touched a ball in a competitive manner since high school. But I knew that the game, much like riding a bicycle, would come back to me. Well, after a slow start, the game did come back. A bit rusty but not too bad. As I was playing, one of the league advisors pulled me aside and suggested I come back the next night for the advanced level and try to connect with a team there since they would be more of my competitive style. Well, I show up yesterday night and play some more, still rusty but slowly getting the sea legs back, ever hopeful that I was impressing the team captains. You see, what I have neglected to share with you thus far is the way in which teams are selected. Basically, you scrimmage a while and if people like you (your skills, your shoes, your hair, whatever) they will approach you and suggest that maybe you join up on a team. Simple plan, in theory. Not so simple in real life. What I ambasically trying to tell you people is that I have spent the last two nights feeling like the fat kid at recess who always gets picked last for kickball. No one, I mean no one, tapped me on the shoulder and said "hey, wanna be on our team" like the head league man suggested they would. Battered and bruised, indeed! At the end of the night, a few sad souls who had also been left untapped approached me and we started a team...four people strong....you need six to play the game! My social life, much like my volleyball skills, seemed to reach their peak at my high school sophomore class coronation!

As we stand today, I have payed $122 which may or may not be refunded, to play on a team which may or may not have enough people, because we may or may not be the uncool kids in the Big City Volleyball League. I am decidely uninspired!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home