A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Life Line

I have three brothers.

The oldest has made choices in his life that keep him out of reach. I love him very much, and I think he knows. He is thirty-two.

The one just below him has turned into the kind of father we never had. He is loving and spoils his daughter rotten. And though she was unplanned, the baby is the light of all of our lives, as most children often are. He is a typical middle child who, I know, sometimes feels under appreciated and overlooked but really has a heart of gold and no longer shies away from my hugs. He is 26.

Then there is my little brother. He is now 22. He is becoming the kind of man I always knew that he would be. In my mind he is still this skinny little boy who didn't talk until he was three, not because there was anything developmentally wrong with him, but because his older, opinionated and overpowering sister talked and did everything for him. He is the brother who has never been afraid to give hugs and kisses. We shared a bed, even though we each had our own, until I was in the 5th grade. (We consequentlly also shared a case of pink eye around grade three!) We hid under beds from our grandparents together, we played and fought together, a team against the older two. My little brother and I talk on-line and on the phone frequently. He calls just to say "what's up" and then waits silently on the other end until I have sufficiently filled the phone lines with stories. Occasionally he remembers that conversations work best when both parties are involved and we have the best time laughing and talking together. (Last night was one of those nights) When I am home we shop together and see movies and have lunch, and now beers, at his place. He has had his moments, as young men often do, when they lose sight of what's right and fall victim to what is fun. He paid the consequences, he is better because of them. He loves his job and is as enthusiastic about learning new things as I am. I do not know all of his secrets, just as he does not know all of mine. But at this very moment, my little brother may just be the best person I know.

Being the only girl with three (very) different brothers is an amazing place. I am lucky indeed.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home