A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Friday, January 07, 2005

Persistence

The quest started the weekend after Thanksgiving when Rachel and I decided we really wanted to see this musical. We got up early, went to wait in line for $25 "lottery" tickets hoping to be one of the 26 lucky folks who got to sit front row for a quarter of the ticket price. We were not two of the lucky ones. I eased the pain of dissapointment by reading the book instead, loving every minute of it, relishing in the fantasy and realness, understanding what it means to be a different color. Since that Thanksgiving weekend I have tried five more times for lottery tickets standing in line with a couple hundred other poor people listening to stupid conversations and disgruntled mumbles when we weren't the lucky chosen few. I gave it one more shot last night determined to see the show before the Tony Award winning star runs away for greener pastures (pun completely intended!) on Sunday. I waited in line with no less than 500 people after work (around 5:30) and, as statistics will show you, did not get a seat. At that point I decided that this was my last shot and why not go all out. I decided then to stand in the cancellation ticket line (around 6:15) to try my luck there knowing fully that the ticket price I would have to pay was the real deal. I waited with about a dozen other people, struck up conversations with a pretty cool couple in front of me and watched as the clock ticked the minutes away until show time and as the ticket man s-l-o-w-l-y handed out tickets as they came in. As show time neared and the last minute warning bell buzzed in the theater, I was in line behind a single woman and the couple. The ticket man came to the window and had two seats. The single woman took one and then the couple, moved aside and let me by, I officially got the last ticket of the night to see the musical Wicked starring Idina Menzel in her thrid to last performance as Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West. At 7:55 I payed my $100 and took my seat, orchestra section, row G, seat 2, on the aisle. The show was amazing and the audience, more like ones at a rock concert than a broadway show, screamed and clapped and blew whistles and noise makers and gave all deserved props to Idina in all of her green glory, show-stopping standing ovations and all. I bought the cast recording and am officially flying on air. Persistence pays off...big time!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home