A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Good Fortune

The last couple of days have been good ones. I'm having the kind of morning where things just look good from the place I'm standing. Where the journey feels right and the good graces are coming in abundance. Here's some reasons why:

  • Last night I went to see the play Gem of the Ocean. It's one of those works of art that makes you think, really think, about the reasons that I am able to do what I can today and make you hurt for those who are wasting the gifts that they have been given because of the fight of those who came before us. It's set in 1904 in Philadelphia and centers around a wise old Black woman whose journey through slavery has shaped her life and changed the people around her. I was so moved in the second act that I ran out of tissue. I am forever changed by this show. And the most amazing part, the matriarch was played by one of my favorite moms, Claire Huxtable, aka Phylicia Rashad. This woman, words can not express her talent. And at the end of the show, I camped out by the stage door just to let her know how much it meant...and she was so gracious and I thanked her for doing art that made a difference and she looked me in the eye and thanked me for believing in the work enough to say something about it and she signed my Playbill and took a picture with me. A new treasure to cherish indeed.
  • In a school like NYU, where I am nothing more than a number, in a program where I have had two different advisors already, my new professor, in a class that I worked hard to get in to, has taken a liking to me and offered, without having seen any of my work, only hearing me talk about it, offered to be my advisor because he believes in the work that I am doing. I am so grateful and ever humbled.
  • I have a job, a relatively good job, and my boss has made it clear that my work is good and appreciated and that he hopes I stay for a long time. But I am still in search of work after I finish this master's degree that means something to me and that will make a difference. I have started the search slowly and have received help from some amazing people. A friend just this morning gave me some great news about a possiblity and I am so luck to have the kind of friends who believe in me enough to offer up my talents with their complete and total support.
  • My friends, seriously, my friends! They take the time to do silly surveys and send them back and IM me with witty banter all day and make me laugh so hard I want to pee my pants and make me love so much that sometimes I feel like my heart will burst!

Sometimes I forget, but when I remember I always mean it...my cup runneth over!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home