A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

I've Got A New Attitude*
It's March..and time for a change. Somehow the semester has flown by and I am in no better a place than I was when I left New York for holiday break. I am still a student, and as such I have student-like responsibilities which I am neglecting. I turned in a paper on Tuesday, a week past its due date. I have made zero progress on my thesis which, technically, I should have already turned in a proposal for and had approved. (In my own defense, that part isn't easy when your advisor doesn't so much exist..maybe lucky number three will be the charm!) Instead, I have managed to waste a couple of months forgetting to re-check the library books gathering dust on my floor and paying the fines (at $15 already!) and just generally being a big loser-slacker-McDork. That isn't to say, however, that I don't do anything...need I remind you (and myself) that I work a full-time, forty hours a week job for bad pay. Or that I am completely caught up (save one chapter) on my class reading despite the late paper. Or that my volleyball skills are much in check these days. Or that I have many an obligation at the theater (Tonya Pinkins at Lincoln Center and Wicked for the 2nd time!) and that I have to attend these events because student tickets will only be in vogue for me for so long! No, I need to remind you (and myself) that I chose to be a NewYork graduate student and therefore must be a good one.

As such, I'm pulling out my new spring-time attitude and officially proclaiming March, Get Off Your Ass and Get Things Done Month! Anyone who wants to join me, membership is free for the whole month! And as a member you get the satisfaction of marking things off of your To-Do list for the whole month. My list is long and consists of a number of life-changing, different path kind of tasks, but now that I have more hours of sunlight, anything is possible. I think. So here it goes, today's the day...or maybe tomorrow, I haven't decided yet.

*Thanks, Patti for the inspriation

3 Comments:

  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get things done? In grad school? Now there's an innovative concept! I'm in the same position and should also take up your campaign of getting off one's ass and doing stuff.
    I'll join ya.

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sign me up for some motivation, I feel the same about getting school work done! -steph

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm so with you ebony - i just recently dubbed march my "get shit done" month. let me know if you need any encouraging words.

    -ally

     

Post a Comment

<< Home