A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Home is where the truth is
There's just something about the way your family tells you things that can really catch you off guard. Your friends can tell you things, and by things I mean the truth, and it's an easier pill to swallow, kind of like a Flinstone's vitamin. But if your family even gets near the truth telling it's more painful, more shot of Nyquil than fruit flavored chewiness. Since I have been home my mom, who has always been the most honest of the clan, has been on her game, offering truths where truths have not been asked for. She means well, I know this. Everyone means well. I am without argument in a rut. Moving forward is not so much the result of the day as staying put in the same place trying not to drown in the quicksand. Kicking around all survivor like knowng that if I just keep my mouth and nose out of the goo I'll be okay.

This afternnoon I received an unexpected phone call from my uncle, the small-town barbershop owner who appears in the newspaper more frequently than should be allowed. He knows people you see. He's like the local bartender who knows everyone's lifestory and secret affairs. He told me of a client of his who works at the community college up the highway and offered some insight into job possibilities. It was a much appreciated lead, one that I know I need. But the best part, the part all full of yucky medicine aftertaste is what followed towards the end of our conversation:

Me: Thanks so much for the lead, I'll definitely look into it.
Uncle: Well, you know, we just want you to do well. But you know, if you do get to go to one of these things for an interview you should be sure to dress, well, grown up. You need to be proffesional and have an adult look.
Me: I know, I clean up pretty well when I need to.
Uncle: Well, I know but you need to take the time to get your look together. And me and you aunt were talking about it last night and she said not to say anything because it would hurt your feelings but I just needed to say it and be honest. You still look like a college student and you need to be sure and make yourself look like and adult, like and executive.
Me: I understand, I know how to look professional when I need to. But thank you.

I swear he was channeling my mother. The truth, it runs in the family.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What?? That's just KRAZE-ZEE with a capital K. He surely hasn't scene the New York you because sure as sweet potato pie is sweet and potato-y, you clean up damn well. XO, EPR

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Stereoette said…

    geezus. are your people related to my people?

    woman, i have seen you in a suit, and i'd hire you. and im MEAN.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home