A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

I was fourteen that summer. I remember it because I wasn't old enough to drive, none of us were, only Lexi. We spent the summer cramming into the bed of her red pick-up truck driving through the neighborhoods between the high school gym and the gymnastics gym where we were all taking tumbling classes. We made frequent stops at Sonic grabbing cherry limeades and cheese tater tots and ate them sitting on the cement in the back of the high school eyeing the boys at football practice pretending that we had out t-shirts tied up around our bosoms because we were actually hot in the Texas sun. We painted thirty-foot tall run-through signs with her truck pulled up next to us on the grass with the windows down and the radio blaring. We were tan and cute, insecure and unsure, but a group of ten that couldn't be separated.

The nostalgia of that summer all came rushing back to me just a bit ago as I watched an Alanis Morrisette concert on VH1. It's the tenth anniversary of Jagged Little Pill. That's right, ten years! I remember the first time I heard the lyric "will she go down on you in a theater" flying out of the CD player at cheerleading camp that June and being both shocked that she would say something like that and unsure if I really even knew what that meant! Ten years ago this summer the hard edge that was Alanis, the curly-haired-wild-child-feminist anthem singer, took over all of my friends and we would sing out loud and dance around everytime the You Oughta Know video came on MTV. And every subsequent video got just as much respect (especially the one where she plays four differnt people in the car!) Alanis could do no wrong. Even the unplugged verion she did on the MTV awards with the orchestra behind her...man, even though I had never been in love, I felt all of her pain. I still do.

So it seems fitting that ten years later, ten years older, we'd get the offical acoustic version of the CD full of young girl anthems all retooled for the grown-up women who remember it best. I think I'll grab myself a copy and relive the summer of my youth. This time with a little less anger, a little less revealed tummy, but a definite refill of the cherry limeade.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Awesome! I heard it playing in a Starbucks, and despite the fact that I was having a conversation with my boss, I completely lost train of thought right in mid-sentence. Loved that CD, and the ones afterwards too...

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger danielle said…

    you know, somebody made fun of me for being excited about the release of the acoustic version...i'm glad somebody else out there still feels her pain...i still know all of that CD by heart. looks like the ipod is about to get an addition.

     
  • At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, I remember knowing the lyrics to every song on that cd, and wondering how she could know what was going on inside my 14/15 year-old-mind so perfectly (well, except the going down in a theater part). Has it really been ten years? Wow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home