A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Monday, August 01, 2005

I have told you before, I keep lists for everything
I remember the night that we made the lists. It was a typical girls night a few years ago at the house on Bluestone. We had been sipping Texas wine and had already managed to polish off a couple fo bottles by the time the pen and paper came out. As most women do when in a group, the conversation inevitably found its way to men. I am pretty sure that we were all single at the time and well aware that the men who would someday have us would be damn lucky indeed. So we all made lists, needs assements as we called them, as to what qualities were absolute must-haves in a mate. My list, perhaps unsurprisingly, is still just what my 22 year old heart desired. I have always been the kind of girl who knows what she wants.

Now before anyone gets all high and mighty that I can't expect any one person to fit into this exact imaginary mold that I have created, I shall save you the trouble by openly admitting that I know that. I am well aware that relationships are full of compromise and tolerance and all of that stuff but for the sake of weeding out the definite no-gos, a list helps. I am also aware that some of the stuff is, for lack of a better word, stupid. But remove all of the filler and the basics are important, for any relationship. And I bet it is fair to say, although you may not have it written down, you all keep one stored in your memory bank just for safe meausre.

Anyway, here is mine, written in no particular order.

-dark hair
-employed
-likes/tolerates my family
-romantic
-touchy-feely
-good dancer
-likes cultural activities
-likes just vegging
-enjoys/appreciates good food
-loves to laugh
-trustworthy
-gives me butterflies
-NICE FEET
-gift-giver
-makes mundane activities fun
-must tolerate Barbra Streisand (and other musical divas)
-must appreciate seriousness of party planning
-humble
-thoughtful
-notices details

7 Comments:

  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Stereoette said…

    i am just pink with amusement that someone as anti-feet as you would so staunchly require nice feet. wouldnt you just prefer they be covered up all the time?

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger Ebony said…

    Wearing socks all of the time only masks the yucky feet. They must be presentable for those *moments* when socks are not allowed.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did, in fact, have a list and it IS possible to find a man that meets up to those important expectations. Give and take is important, sure, but knowing what you're looking for helps you weed out the ones who would just be a waste of time...

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think everything is fair but:

    -must tolerate Barbra Streisand (and other musical divas)

    ;)

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Ebony said…

    i said tolerate, not love. just like i am willing to tolerate hoobastank.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    My list, which was made on a different day, includes "must be able to climb in and out of a truck without knocking off cowboy hat" so Eb's list is definitely much more down to earth than mine. I don't think any of those things are unreasonable OR unattainable :o)

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger timothy said…

    I about lost my morning coffee when I read: "-must appreciate seriousness of party planning" very funny! I didn't know it was that involved of a process...

    I noticed that you didn't put "good listener" or something similar on there, which I think makes your list very realistic...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home