A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

But he's not even cold
My office environment is unlike any that I have ever worked in because of one major distinction: women. My previous office jobs were in two predominantly male fields, life at the computer company meant that I was often the only woman in the lab during any given meeting and the sports marketing agencey was me, the boss and a couple of other guys thrown in for good measure. I know work with two other women and one lonely male. It is so great to have someone to gossip with during the day and talk about scandalous Laguna Beach details with and to actually have someone notice when you are wearing an exceptionally lovely outfit. But I do feel a little bit sorry for the guy, somedays he just doesn't even know what hit him.

I was warned pretty early on by the boss that the one guy didn't so much like girly talk that had anything to do with girly doctors or breasts or vaginas or anything else specifically pertaining to a girly issue. We try to avoid the topics in mixed company just so we don't make him feel uncomfortable. But there are just some things that need to be said at certain times and for those moments the boss has developed a strategy. Whenever something is about to be discussed that may not be to his liking, she simply says "ear muffs" and like a child listening to his mother, he will cover his ears with his hands and humm lightly to himslef until the moment passes.

Yesterday we were all at lunch and started talking about childbirth and the atrocities that happen to the female body in the process. Right before a comment having to do with the vagina she yells out "earmuffs" and without hesitation he covered his ears. When the comment was over she tapped on the table to signal the passing of the topic and he started eating again as if nothing had happened. The whole image of him sitting there at the table covering his ears made me laugh out loud. Because you know that in the back of his head he is cursing the fact that he has to work with all of these chicks.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I bet he loves working with all you hot ladies! Is he old? Why does he dislike girly talk so?

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger danielle said…

    what's strange is that i know everyone you work with. so much for anonymity with me! :)

    and i completely understand loving working with women. my entire department (all 5 of us) are women under the age of 31. so it's young and fun and hip!

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    I think it's fun some days, not so much others. Sometimes I think I will choke on the estrogen fumes in the air. Bitchy older women just aren't as fun...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home