A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

My Soul's Trouble
Saturday night we went out to finish celebrating Barbara's 26th birthday. Earlier in the week we did a suprise carrot cake and Nano delivery, I missed the Italian salute on Thursday but the Saturday Mexican food and pub crawl had my name all over it. (See, my friends truly understand the philosophy of the week-long birthday celebration!) It all started innocently enough with tacos and Negro Modelo in Austin, then on to a place where Lance Armstrong is once again shamelessly displaying his yellow jersey coolness in Austin, then to the Gingerman where I drank a very tatsy pint of Stronbow, a beer whose taste I acquired at nineteen when drinking cider in London pubs was all the rage. By the time we made it to the last bar a little past midnight, I was certainly back in the flow of nightlife in Austin.

And then that's when it happened, as it always does anytime I go out in this city, I have to attract a crazy.

They come in all different shapes and colors and luckily this one had left the gold teeth at home. He traded it in for a more Rico Sauve feel complete with the full on suit on the roof deck where he sat waiting patiently with his twin-like friend. It took a while but apparantly my ass shaking to whatever song was playing was just the motivation he needed to have the following conversation with me:

Rico Sauve (shaking my hand): I just had to come up to you and say that you are the most beautiful woman in here.
Me: Ahh, that's very sweet, thank you.
RS (still holding my hand): You know, your soul, it is so bright. I could see it when you walked in here. But it looks like it is going away, like the people you are with are taking your soul away.
Me (pulling my hand away): Umm, I'm pretty sure my soul is just fine.
RS (looking at my boobs): But I can see your soul and I just want to dance with you. I want to dance near you and around you. Come on, I am nice, I won't bite.
Me: No, my soul isn't going anywhere and no thank you on the dancing.
RS: But please, it would make me so happy.
Me: No, really, I'm good.
RS: Well, I just needed to say that. And I will go back and sit but I will be looking at you and your soul.

This is why going out is such a joy, the crazies always seem to find me. But of course, Rico's buddy managed to find Steph that night as well so I wasn't the only lucky lady that night.

But damn my pesky soul, she is always getting me trouble.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Crap! So now you know we're stealing your soul! My man offered to rip down the speaker because i couldn't hear him, and said he hopes he sees me there next Saturday. Eb, up for a repeat? :o)

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger danielle said…

    are you sure that by "soul" he didn't mean "boobs?"

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    That's totally the Karen line from Will and Grace: "Um honey, that's not my soul..."

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Ebony said…

    I'm pretty sure that my boobs are often mistaken for my soul.

    It is both a blessing and a curse.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home