A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Raitted: A Perfect Ten
I often wish that I had learned to play an instrument. I took piano lessons in college but only made it Jingle Bells and then realized that my fingers and my brain don't like to communicate sometimes and the notes that I was playing weren't exactly the notes that should be used. My musical genius is limited to a pretty decent sense of what constitues great music; just because I don't know my way around a guitar or a keyboard doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the sounds they make when put in the hands of people much more adept at brain-hand-ear coordination than myself.

Last night I got to witness one of those amazing musicians.

Bonnie Raitt played in Austin and I had fantastic seats. After a bit of a dramatic start to the evening (I missed half of the opening act if that gives you any idea of how messed up things got since we all know I always arrive very early to events af this nature) things settled down and I settled in to an amazing display of vocal and musical mastery. Bonnie played no less than half a dozen different guitars, a piano and a keyboard. She sang songs that make you want to jump out of your seat and dance (which I did!) and songs that make you want to hold on to the people you love and never let go. After two hours and three encores, my late night drive home through the dense Texas fog was the most relaxed and content I have been in a long time. The stress of the work week melted away and all I could do was tap my hands on the steering well to the amazing guitar riffs playing in my head. Musical therapy, it might just be the best kind of medicine.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    When I read the title, I totally thought "Wow, she mispelled that!" And I am usually all for a good pun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home