A Rose In Bloom

Better than I could be. Not as good as I’d planned.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Maybe My Hips Do Lie
During this attempt at transitioning my life into a healthier kind of place I have been actively looking for outlets that are challenging yet fun and that will enhance my well being in some way. One of my first steps towards becoming a more authentic version of who I am meant to be (self-help book section, purchase one) I decided to take up a new form of creative excercise. Saturday morning (with a very hesitant Sarah by my side) I took my first belly dancing class.

Yes, belly dancing.

After a few awkward moments I think Sarah and I have found a very exciting new adventure. Although I would like to say that my generous blending of ethnicities makes me a perfect candidate for easily picking up the movements, I gotta tell you, my hips were trying to move in a manner all their own. Every muscle in my body was trying so hard to move in the opposite direction that my brain wanted it to. I wanted to curve my body and swivel my torso when really I needed to toss my hips and bounce on my knees. It was much more difficult than I had anticipated but something I think that is going to be very rewarding. It's good excercise and the instructor is all about embracing and understanding the power of the female body. The class lasts for six weeks and depending on how it goes I may very well take another one, I think I'm gonna like it that much. I just hope thta my hips get the message pretty soon or else wearing one of these things will be totally pointless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home